Health extern proudly presents AED's third newsletter. Find out what's new in medicine and how to stand out as an applicant. There is no member spotlight this week.
Scientists Find Cause of Reduced Sensitivity in HER2-Positive Breast Cancer
HER2-positive breast cancer is a type of breast cancer where the cancerous cells produce too much HER2 proteins, promoting tumor growth. Scientists just discovered why the drug used to treat this type of breast cancer stops working, the cancer cells become desensitized to it, and how the cancer cells become desensitized to the drug. This is momentous because now that scientists have this understanding, they can work to overcome the problem and create better cancer drugs.
Daily Glass of Wine May Boost Type 2 Diabetics’ Heart Health
It has been found that drinking one glass of red wine at night may help improve both heart health and blood sugar levels for those with Type 2 Diabetes. A study was conducted and found that red wine was better at improving cholesterol (by increasing HDL cholesterol), and that both red and white wine improved blood sugar levels.
Artificial Skin Could Bring Sense of Touch to Prosthetics
Scientists have developed an artificial skin that can feel pressure and send those signals to brain cells. The plastic skin can tell difference between a firm handshake and the dead-fish variety. It can then transmit that information to cells of the central nervous system. The artificial skin is made up of two layers: The top layer is a plastic that 8contains carbon nanotubes, which conduct electricity when pressure is placed on the plastic. The bottom layer receives those electrical impulses and translates them into biochemical messages that nerve cells can read. In this study on mice, the researchers proved that the sensory signals could be transferred to brain cells from mice.
How to Make Your Application Stand Out
- Gain experience in your field in a clinic, hospital, or other health care settings.
- Some examples include working as and EMT, Shands volunteering, Mobile Outreach Clinic, Acorn clinic, and even a blood bank.
- Shadowing is another way to obtain experience. You can observe the doctor's activities in various healthcare environments.
- You should have a volunteer or paid position for at least 6 months.
- Research experience is not required but it is a plus on your application.
- Some opportunities in research include HHMI research awards, university scholars, publications, and poster presentations at symposiums.
- Contact health extern for help in getting research here at UF.
- Think about what you have done that is unrelated to your health profession such as sports, playing an instrument, community service, or learning another language.
- Not everything you do has to be related to your pre-health track.
- You want to be memorable so be sure to include things you've done that have shaped who you are.
See you all at the GBM this Thursday!